On the Pacific

I have now emerged from the Straits of Magellan and am right this minute chugging along at 15 knots towards Easter Island, which they call the most remote island on the globe. The beautiful blue Pacific Ocean is surrounding this little ship, and I've watched several marvelous lectures and documentaries over the past several days on the plight of Shackleton, the man who tried to sail in a sailing ship to Antarctica in order to cross it with men and dogs. He failed, but I'd call him one of the bravest men of all time, given the ordeal he went through. You might want to read about him.

All the seasickness has passed with the good luck of the albatross following the ship. (They are supposedly the souls of seamen who have vanished in the sea around Cape Horn.) We will land by zodiac boats on Easter Island, and a friend of mine has asked if I want to stay there overnight and hire a jeep to go around the island. Of course, I said yes. So we will see how that turns out. There are only dirt roads on Easter Island and it is really very small. I think about 64 square miles.

The next stop will be Pitcairn Island where there are only 60 survivors of the Mutiny on the Bounty crew of two centuries ago. I read all three books last summer and can't believe I am actually approaching that island. And then on to Tahiti.
Now about my nemesis, snorkeling... I still have no gear and there are signup sheets for snorkeling along the line. I've talked to several people here who have done it, so though I may drown in the attempt, it will be a glorious death among the corals in the beautiful Indian Ocean.

I'm having such an incredibly interesting, fun filled, exciting, all the good words you can think of trip! I could go on and on, but can't now because there are 24 computers, and a lineup of people to send messages home.

More later from Easter Island!